Monday, April 2, 2012

Once Upon a Princess Cartridge Showcase

Once Upon a Princess

I am so excited to be doing my first cartridge showcase for cooking with cricut. I opted to do one of my favorite cartridges, Once Upon a Princess (only with a fun twist!).

Anyone who makes projects for little girls can see what a GREAT cartridge this is: fairies, butterflies, beautiful dresses, cupcakes etc; What isn't to love?? Well, if you ask my son there is a lot not to love about it! He's 4 and always complains that I don't have a cricut cartridge for a prince too. So, this showcase I opted to use the princess cartridge to make projects for my little prince!

First is a castle. The minute he saw it his jaw dropped and he said "way cool mom!"


I used Coredinations paper and embossed it in stone with my big kick. After embossing it I sanded each piece to reveal the brown and gray colors below (seriously, this Coredinations paper is the coolest stuff ever, perfect for a project like this, for sure!) My son said "wow, how'd you do that??". 

I have made the castle before, and the last time I made it it was a lot bigger. I will say, the bigger you make it the easier it is to assemble, however this smaller castle is much more sturdy and he is able to use little lego guys to play in it and it is holding up pretty well even after a couple of weeks.

I am entering the castle into the Throwback Thursday challenge at My Creative Time.

The next project I made was crowns: one for him and one for his teddy bear.

 The crown cuts in two pieces which connect together by slipping the front piece into the slots on the back piece (this way you can adjust for your child's head size). I made each piece 12 inches long for my son and 7 inches for the teddy bear.



My last project is to show one of my favorite cuts on Once Upon a Princess - you could use it for any party. It's a generic card that has "You're Invited" cut on the outer edge.







I made this invite for a Magic Show themed birthday party. I used my gypsy and added the oval cut out on the front of the card (each page of this cartridge has a "gem" feature and there are several cute shapes that would work as cutouts like this.)  The sentiment "Magical" is also from Once Upon a Princess (it had a fairy wand on the end of the word, which I simply cut off for use on this card to make it more boy-ish).

I am entering this card into the Children's Card Challenge at Cuttlebug Spot and 
in the birthday card challenge at My Sheri Crafts.


The bunny and top hat are cut from Create a Critter (top hat is an accessory and I just flipped it over). I accordion folded some paper on the bottom of the card and used foam squares to affix "magical" to it.

I have used this cartridge for lots of other (more girly) things - see the links on the side of my blog and it should pull up everything else I have used this cartridge for! It has a very sweet font, tons of tags and lots of little girly images. I hope you enjoyed my projects and have inspired you to create for you little princes, too!

4 comments:

  1. you did a great job on that castle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, your showcase is just awesome! I LOVE that you showed how a 'girlie' cartridge could also be used for a boy! And how cute is your son?! Oh, and that castle ROCKS!!
    Hugs!
    Heather P (DT sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your birthday invitation with us this week @ My Sheri Crafts and helping us to celebrate our 2nd Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to make the castle for a birthday centerpieces but having a hard time with the measurements. .. I have a cricut and using the digital cartridge

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed my projects or have feedback I'd love your comments and always love new followers!